Who can access my record?
Only staff directly involved in your care can access your record, for example your GP, hospital doctor or social worker. Staff not involved in your care will not be able to access your record.
A Cheshire Care Record has been created for every registered patient in the county. If you do not want your information to be shared in this way, you must opt out of the programme. You can do this by contacting your GP surgery or social worker.
All staff are trained in data protection and maintaining the privacy of your information.
Health and social care professionals who are given access to the Cheshire Care Record
A full list of roles that could be given access includes:
- Medical practitioners registered with the General Medical Council e.g. all hospital doctors including consultants, doctors, psychiatrists, surgeons, radiologists, anesthetists (see section 204 of the Data Protection Act 2018 for more information on health professional roles http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2018/12/section/204/enacted
- Registered general practitioners
- Registered dentists under Dentists Act 1984
- Registered opticians under the Opticians Act 1989
- Registered pharmaceutical chemists under the Pharmacy Act 1954 or Pharmacy (NI) order 1976
- Registered osteopaths under the Osteopaths Act 1993
- Registered chiropractors under the Chiropractors Act 1994
- Nurses registered with the Nursing & Midwifery Council; e.g. ward, staff, matron, district, nurse practitioner, specialist nurse midwife, health visitor
- Clinical psychologists, child psychotherapists or speech therapists
- Allied health professionals registered with a professional body: e.g. occupational therapists, physiotherapists, podiatrists, dieticians
- Other registered health professionals with a valid reason for accessing the record – e.g. radiographers
- Registered social workers
- Occupational therapists
- Social care assessors
- Care arrangers
- Care coordinators
- Hospice health professionals
- Accredited mental health care professionals
- Best interest assessors
- Visual impairment rehabilitation officers
- Care support staff e.g. medical secretaries, ward clerks
- Appointment schedulers
- Care coordinators
- IT & Information governance support staff
- System audit and complaints staff
- Graphnet – the system provider
Does my GP surgery have access to Cheshire Care Records?
There are many participating GPs across Cheshire who have access to the record and who are using it to provide a more joined up way of working with social and mental health care.